THE BIBLICAL TRUTH ABOUT GOD & HIS WORD
The following are general truths about God and His Word found in the Holy Bible. These are not all-inclusive, but we believe they are the foundational truths that guide our writing.
- There is only one God—the God of the Holy Bible.
“I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God.” – Isaiah 45:5
- God is always truthful and faithful to His Word. He never changes, so the truths found in His Word never change—no matter what man says.
“I the LORD do not change.” – Malachi 3:6
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” – Hebrews 13:8
“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” – James 1:17
- What we believe about God and His Word is vital to what we believe about how we should live out our marriage. It is from God that we gain the knowledge and wisdom to have a healthy marriage.
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.” – Psalm 111:10
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” – Proverbs 1:7
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” – Proverbs 9:10
When Scripture refers to “the fear of the Lord,” it means that we revere Him and we understand who He is. Therefore, we learn and live by all that He teaches us.
- The Bible—the Holy Scriptures—are the Word of God. Therefore, they are completely true and trustworthy. They were written by men, but God directed them what to write, so that in the Bible we have exactly what God wants us to have.
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
“Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had it origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” – 2 Peter 1:20-21
- These Scriptures are all we need to live our lives in a way that will honor God and, therefore, bless us and our marriage. Other writings, illustrations, etc., may help us understand Scripture’s teachings, but God’s Word has all we need. It is not lacking in any way.
“Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption of the world caused by evil desires.” – 2 Peter 1:2-4
- We are able to understand the Scriptures and apply them to our lives and marriage because of the Holy Spirit, who comes to live in us when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
“All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” – John 14:25-26 (Jesus’ own words)
“The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.” – 1 Corinthians 2:14
- We can only receive the Holy Spirit when we receive salvation from the eternity in hell we deserve. This salvation comes only through faith in Jesus Christ. He is fully God and fully man. This is why it is only through His life, death on the cross, and His resurrection from the dead that we can be forgiven of our sins. (To learn more about this, please see Meet Jesus.)
“For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.” – Colossians 2:9-10
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” – John 3:16-18
“Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” – Acts 4:12 (Peter preaching about Jesus)
For an overview of what God’s Word says specifically concerning marriage, please read “OUR BELIEFS ABOUT MARRIAGE.”
Header photo by Stain_Marylight via pixabay (CC0), cropped/text added.